Useful tips for better Supervision
- Analyze with cool mind the important task given to you. First thoroughly
understand what needs to be done to achieve the targeted goal and then you may workout deadlines for completing such activities and assign duties accordingly to complete the process.
- To achieve the targets you may have to pick up the right group, even if it means consulting your higher official. You have to ensure that a highly motivated and skilled employees who are expert in such tasks are picked up.
- Assign the task to the said group with clear instructions on how you desire to
achieve the targeted goal. The instruction must include the deadline
specified for each step to accomplish the target.
- Once you assign the task to other you must carefully monitor the progress and issue instruction only if you find the deadlines for each steps are not met and the cushion given for it also exceeded.
- Avoid showering favoritism to any particular person in the group.
- Give due respect in dealing with the employee working under you is older than you. You can be strict to them but use
language which is not offensive wounding their respect.
- You can praise
the abilities of a worker in front of others, but do not compare him
with another worker who is not efficient, and continued to be
present in the group.
- While admonishing some one be cautious that it is not done in front of others, particularly if the employee happens to be aged person.
- Avoid frequent use of promoting 'I' in every work done.
- Whenever you hear of a new product which will help boosting productivity, diarise them with addresses if possible. They can come handy whenever modernization takes place and you can offer suggestion from your side.
- In every industry there will always be objectionists who will discourage every move. It should not therefore prevent you from holding group discussions in hour of need. Ignore comments of objectionists and go with majority views, sometimes accepting even their views with reservation as the views according to the Supervisor may need to be modified. Doesn't matter. Take the majority views as guidance for better. In industries where quality circle exist, such meetings are common.